Self-assessment paper

Self-Assessment

Phase 1

During this semester we learned and submitted important pieces of English artwork, and I’m here to self-assess myself on each of them. During phase 1 of the class, we read and did multiple works on the English language and how there are multiple ways to speak English, one reading being Vershawn Ashanti’s “Should writers use their own English”. This reading stood out to me because as the title says should we use our own English and I think we should, we shouldn’t be gatekept from using our own way of English, there is no proper way in speaking English. So, speak and write your own way of English that’s what I think, moving forward with phase 1 we also had the WLLN and SLLN, the written language literacy narrative was like Amy Tan writing on how she helped her mother with English when speaking to people who didn’t know how to speak her language. Me growing up my parents spoke mainly Spanish so throughout the years of them speaking Spanish consistently, I understood it most of the time. So, it wasn’t hard to understand them most of the time and it can go the same with my parents they fully understand English. So, from time to time, I help them with it. So that’s how I came up with my WLLN idea through Amy Tan’s story. On to the next part, which was the SLLN which I confused with WLLN, but I did correct myself. I made my SLLN as a high school experience and I also recorded a video of one of my favorite video games to it, when I asked to make my SLLN as a video and got approval I was excited because I always like making edits and videos. I can’t forget how we used Ethos, Pathos Logos for analyzing the readings and texts we were given during this phase. This first phase was filled with information and content.

Phase 2

Moving on to the second phase, the shortest phase of the whole semester. We went deeper into Rhetorical devices in this phase which led to our assignment. We had options in what we could do for this assignment, either write a poem or story with 2 or more rhetorical devices about a moment in your life, or you could make a meme video or TikTok with the same requirements. I did a meme because I personally think that it was easier and simpler to do, I made my rhetorical meme about my Spanish, and I used Pathos and Ethos in my meme to express it. I used and made the meme funny on purpose so one of the rhetorical devices was pathos. What I can’t forget to add is that we analyzed readings from phase 1, what I analyzed was Amy Tan’s reading explaining key points on how Amy Tan used ethos pathos, and logos in her reading. With the help of a previous analysis, I analyzed my own meme as the next part of the assignment. With my analysis, I explained why used the meme and why I used Spanish speaking as my topic. I also explained what rhetorical devices I used which were ethos and pathos. My intended audience was Spanish speaking kids, and how I analyzed my meme by explaining the context and why I used said rhetorical devices, the rhetorical devices I used was ethos and pathos. I can’t forget to mention the Cover letter I wrote, a cover letter is reflection on what you learned and gained from this phase of the semester. I gained how to analyze and use rhetorical devices more.

Phase 3

Phase 3 was a personal favorite of mine because the assignment given was a research paper on a topic that I wanted. I made my research on If the esports industry was profitable. I choose this topic because I like playing video games and watching tournaments. So with my liking of video games and esports I wanted to research if they make good money and it is profitable. During this phase, we learned how to find creditable sources and make sure it wasn’t stolen or anything. The sources we had to use were 1 scholarly source, 3-2 non-scholarly sources, and 2 multimedia sources. These sources were requirements for this research paper if you wanted to execute it properly. Also during this phase, we during learned how to synthesize a text, reading, or article.  Synthesizing is not the same as summarizing but is similar, for synthesizing you wanna make similar points to the topic but exactly say the same points as what ur synthesizing. Also, cite the sources you are synthesizing that are important to add so whenever readers read your synthesis they can go to the source and read it for themselves. We also did rhetorical precis for our sources. A rhetorical precis is 4 sentence paragraph of the main essential points of your source. So with the rhetorical precis, we did it for 3 of our sources. Overall I feel like I accomplished what was taught during this semester of English.  

During this semester and class I learned so much from analyzing, to coming up with rhetorical devices and to properly cite information. I am grateful to have Prof.Gandhi as my teacher she taught us a lot, and she helped me improve on my reading and writing skills overall. Back in high-school I wasn’t the best writer in my opinion, I would usually get help from tutors and teachers when it came to these type of assignments. As I grown older and developed my skill for writing and reading have too and now they improved even more with taking this class.